This building features in an old Danbury postcard. Where is it and what was it before it became a private house?
was taken at Buell Well on Danbury Common.
A pumping station was built here in the18th century, the foundations of which can still be seen.
Water was pumped from this natural spring up to a tank at the top of church hill and this supplied the village and beyond. This continued until 1936 and, with the pump and tank being redundant, they were dismantled in 1962. At it’s peek Buell Well supplied over 13 million gallons of water each year, sufficient for 4000 people. The storage tanks had a capacity of over 100,000 gallons.